Monday, March 25, 2013

Laughter

My art history professor made my mind wander onto a certain phenomenon recently. That is that we laugh because we are really scared. She began by explaining that babies when they play peek a boo with their mothers will laugh when the mother "disappears" by breaking eye contact with the baby, and then "re-appears" again. The baby does not have the mental capacity to explain this and therefore they are terrified by it, and don't know what to make of it, and laugh. Now, I'm not sure of all of the psychology and research behind this but I immediately equated it to my own experiences, and how I often laugh in awkward situations, and part of it may be because I am frightened of the awkwardness and therefore have to laugh. I'm perplexed by this! Thanks Professor for blowing my mind on a continual basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment