Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Nook is abandoned!!!

Downtown Kenosha has been slowly dwindling down as businesses close down. More and more empty shops seem to appear, one of them being my favorite cafe The Nook. I wasn't that surprised I must confess because it almost closed before, thanks to the owners after the ones I like to call "quitters". They saw that The Nook meant a lot people and it should stay open. My friend used to work there and informed me that they closed because a lack of income, she said something like, "People would come in and buy just a coffee and stay for hours." I suppose a coffee shop is a hard business to hold for the reason that people expect to be able to stay there for the cheap price of a coffee. I wont lie, most of the time I would only buy a drink, only occasionally buying a lunch. I always tipped well though. Business in general downtown is hard to keep, many store owners, and people who want to get things going downtown again say that it is very hard to get things passed in city council to get permits and what have you. This may be the reason why we see so many empty shops downtown. I will definatley miss the nook, this was NOT A STARBUCKS, but a much more cozy atmosphere, where you could write on the walls in the bathroom, stare at the painted ceiling tiles, and enjoy a chia tea with chocolate syrup, "the emma". every time i pass this closed up shop I will remember all the times i would sit and relax, think, wonder, read, and feel cozy in MY nook. One day, don't hold me to it though, I would like to open my own coffee shop, there's something so artsy and financially crazy about it that makes you a great part of a community, almost family. I love everything about it.

2 comments:

  1. it closed for good? i thought it reopened :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It closed a while ago then re opened under new management, now these people are closing it. :(

    ReplyDelete